Josiah Hedges laid out the town of Hedgesville in 1832 and it consisted of log buildings up to the time of the Civil War. One exception was Mt. Zion Episcopal Church, a graceful brick church built in 1818. It replaced an earlier meetinghouse called Hedges Chapel where George Washington worshipped before 1750. Just north of the church is the burial site of many of the early Hedges.
Church services have been held each Sunday and continue up to the present time. This is the oldest Episcopal Church building in the county.
The church is a favorite of photographers and has appeared on calendars and in magazines.
Location: WV9 in Hedgesville