Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail
Washington Heritage Trail Visitor Services History Calendar of Events Other Self-Guided Tours Links & Resources
Washington Heritage Trail
Jefferson County, WV
About Jefferson County
Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
Jefferson Rock
Shenandoah Canal
Entler Hotel
Rumsey Monument and Tobacco Warehouse
Morgan's Grove Park
Peter Burr House
Charles Town
Jefferson County Courthouse and Museum
Zion Episcopal Church
Happy Retreat
St. George's Chapel Ruins
Cedar Lawn
Claymont Court/Blakeley
Middleway Historic District
Berkeley County, WV
About Berkeley County
B&O Roundhouse & Station Complex
Belle Boyd House
Berkeley County Courthouse
Triple Brick Museum
General Adam Stephen House
Green Hill Cemetery
Van Metre Ford Bridge
Bunker Hill Mill
Morgan Chapel
Morgan Cabin
Gerrardstown Historic District
Hays Gerrard House
Mill's Gap
Sleep Creek Wildlife Management Area
Hedgesville Historic District
Mt. Zion Episcopal Church
Snodgrass Tavern
Morgan County, WV
About Morgan County
Spruce Pine Hollow Park
Berkeley Springs
Dutch Cemetery
Throgmorton's Inn
Bath Historic District
Berkeley Springs State Park
George Washington's Bathtub
Roman Bath House & Museum of the Berkeley Springs
Washington's Lots
Sir John's Run
Panorama Overlook
Great Cacapon
Camp Hill Cemetery
Paw Paw
Paw Paw Tunnel
Coolfont Manor House
Cacapon State Park

Washington Heritage Trail



Snodgrass Tavern is one of the oldest known buildings in West Virginia. Most likely, the first 16-square-foot log section was built in 1742 by John Ford who owned the land. It contained four large stone chimneys. Various additions and improvements have taken place over the years. In 1779 Robert Snodgrass purchased the tavern and a 234-acre tract of land from Colonel Van Swearingen. He operated the tavern here until 1801 when he sold it to his son Robert Snodgrass, Jr.

The tavern was built on the east side of Back Creek along Warm Springs Road, making it the perfect stop for travelers heading to and from the warm springs at Bath (Berkeley Springs.) In the early 1800s, Robert Snodgrass operated a ferry just south of the present highway bridge over Back Creek. He was reprimanded by local Presbyterians in 1828 for allowing dancing. In 1832 a store was established at the tavern.

The tavern’s most famous guest was George Washington. Secretary of State Henry Clay also visited the tavern on one of his journeys from Alexandria, Virginia, to Berkeley Springs. The house operated as a tavern until 1847.

An early slave cemetery is located near the tavern, as well as a small stone building dated 1747, which has served many purposes throughout the years. The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Privately owned; WV9 – 1.4 miles west of Hedgesville

“Dispatched my wagon (with the baggage) at daylight and at 7 o’clock
followed it. Halted at one Snodgrass’s on Back Creek and dined there.”

George Washington’s diary — September 5, 1784


Copyright © 2010, Washington Heritage Trail, Inc. Funded in part by the Federal Highway Administration.