St. George’s Chapel also known as Norborne Parish Church, was named for the popular Royal Governor of Virginia, Norborne Berkeley, Lord Botetourt. Norborne Parish was organized in February 1771 after the act dividing Frederick Parish was passed the previous year. The new parish included all the land in present-day Berkeley and Jefferson counties as well as two-thirds of Morgan. The same lines were used in 1772 when Berkeley County was carved from Frederick County, Virginia.
The stone church, known as St. George’s Chapel, was built on land donated by Robert Worthington, Jr. James Nourse, a merchant from London, contributed to the building and furnishing of the elegant Norborne Church. George Washington’s brother Samuel, master of Harewood, served as senior warden.
After the establishment of Charles Town, a new church was built there and Norborne Church was abandoned. Time and vandalism ravaged the building. A communion table now located at Zion Episcopal Church in Charles Town is all that remains of the carved furnishings. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the ruins are currently under the care of the Henry Davenport Family. The site is open to the public.